Monday, May 31, 2010

Still Here


Well, it's nearly June and we're still not sure when we're going home. Oh well, I guess I should have expected that, it is the Army after all. I'm not overly concerned with it. I really don't enjoy being here, but at least I'm getting to put more money into my savings. It is however getting very warm. It's regularly in the 110+ temperatures. I think the hottest it's gotten so far is about 120. Honestly though, I'm kind of getting used to it. Walking around in ACUs is not all that fun, but when I'm walking around in my PT (fitness) uniform, it's not really all that bad. But apparently it's still supposed to get 10-20 degrees hotter. With the heat, the constant dust and smoke and the miles and miles of dirt, I have trouble understanding how anyone can live in this country and how at one point in time this was the "cradle of life".

The day to day routine is about the same. My mission schedule off the FOB has slowed down and unless we stay a lot longer I'm probably done traveling. It's kind of nice to be able to stay in a routine, however, it does make the time go by slower. I've been getting my 2-a-day workouts in. It's definately nice to have so much time to workout. I'm already kind of dreading going back and not having all this time to workout. I probably won't be too sad though to trade a workout here or there for a day on the golf course. My clinic schedule continues to increase. My clinic space is small so my technician and I can't work at the same time. He sees patients in the morning and I see them in the afternoon. With that kind of schedule we're actually at capacity for what the clinic can handle. The work isn't too bad. I'd say about 40-50% of my patient load are the normal soft soldiers with chronic issues. But there have also been a lot of interesting orthopedic cases. Just had a guy the other day who tore his achilles, one that dislocated his shoulder and a girl that blew out her ACL. I've also had a rash of Brachial plexopathies, which I didn't really see a lot of in garrison. Piriformis syndrome tends to be popping up lately as well. So it's not really a bad work situation. My average day goes like this:

0630-0800 Weight lifting

0800-0900 Show and chill

0900-1130 Kind of work on administrative stuff but also just kind of bum around the office

1130-1300 Lunch

1300-1700 See patients

1700-1830 Evening workout, usually cardio

1830-1930 Dinner

1930-2200 Chill

Not bad. It's amazing how much more time you have in a day when you don't have to drive to work or go grocery shopping.

Well, that's about it for now. Oh, I included a photo of the dust storm the other day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We haven't even hit 90 yet! Only 4 days left of work and then maybe I can get myself a schedule like yours. Only the cardio may never make it! I'm so out of shape due to illnesses. LA was very nice this past week-end! Wish I would have had time to see a baseball game. But the grandchildren easily make up for it. Keep the Dust!!! Love you, MOM