Monday, April 12, 2010

The Flying Ninjas


Since coming here to hammer, myself and a few other people play volleyball on a pretty regular basis. When there are enough of us around we usually try to get out at least twice a week. Now I believe I've shared my feelings about volleyball as a competitive sport before. The readers digest version is that I think it's one of those sports where a simple increase in effort does not make up for a lack of talent. Additionally, it's one of those sports where people think they can just disregard the rules. It's like playing basketball, just because someone isn't good doesn't mean we let them travel; and soccer, we don't let people use their hands because they aren't coordinated with their feet. Yet, in volleyball people don't think the rules matter, like: touching the net, carrying the ball, double hits, etc. Anyway, the group we usually play with is pretty good as far as basic skills and knowledge of the game go. So in the past few tournaments we've gotten to the championship game only to face a team of foreigners that works for AAFES. I'm not exactly sure where they are from, but if I had to guess it would be somewhere in southeast Asia. We lovingly refer to these guys as the flying ninjas! They can all jump crazy high and play pretty well too. They're a team of a few good setters and a bunch of hitters. It seems like they're flying around the court the whole time, thus the nick name. So far we have not been able to beat them in tournament play because our team ends up turning into a "rec league" team. One of those where everyone that comes out gets to play. I swear though, before we leave here we'll put together a team that can beat them. I think we have the players to beat them, we just need to work on our line up and rotation to better match up.
Anyway, the past few times we've gone out to play just for fun, a lof of the Ninjas end up stopping by for the pick up games. Lately it's been a lot of fun playing with them because they actually can play so the games are competitive. Anyway, those are the flying ninjas!
So I'm currently stuck at Hammer due to weather cancellations on my flight. It seems like fate doesn't want me to go to this one FOB because 3 of the last 4 missions there, my flight has been delayed or cancelled due to weather. However, there is a silver lining. At the DFAC, my favorite specialty bar is Taco Bar. On all 3 of those occasions the day I was delayed they had taco bar. So if my flights had been on time, I would have missed out! Oh the humanity!
Yesterday was Organization day. What organization day is for anyone that doesn't know is it's a mandatory fun day. It usually consists of a BBQ of some type and sporting event competitions between the different companies in the battalion. Unfortunately this is again one of those rec league things where it's supposed to be just for fun, but many people take it very seriously. So you have teams that are stacked and really good, and others, such as our own, which have a lot of non-athletic type individuals. Our softball and football teams were of the latter version. I personally do not mind losing, however, I hate loooking bad and being embarrased. Needless to say we did not do so well and I ended up being very frustrated! I love the Army and it's mandatory fun days!
With all of the sporting events that have been happening lately, I've learned something about my body. It just doesn't seem to be able to respond quite as quickly to the demands I place on it, nor does it recover as quickly afterward. It reminds me of the line from Top Gun where the commander is lecturing Maverick and says "son, your ego is writing checks that your body can't cash"! So far I'm really not enjoying this whole getting old thing!

No comments: